- Student Life
- Support SC
Marking & Inventory of Personal Property
Students are encouraged to permanently mark and inventory all person property. Students are asked to write down their serial numbers of all expensive items and to put those numbers in a safe place. In the event of property loss, the police and personal insurers will often need proof of ownership to return the property or to process replacement funding. Building Lock Up: College classroom buildings are locked each evening, and trespassing is prohibited. Residence halls are locked 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and are restricted to residents and their guests, subject to the visitation policy outlined in the Student Handbook. Keys are provided to each resident for access to his/her room and residence hall.
Staff are available in the residence halls through the evening hours in case of emergency. Resident Directors: A professional, live-in Resident Director is on-call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week while classes are in session. During office hours, 8 am – 5 pm, Monday – Friday, please contact the Student Life Office at 278-4218. During any other time, please call the RD on-call cell phone at 278-6218.
Crime Prevention Tips General
- Do not leave personal belongings unattended. Lock room and office doors and windows each time when leaving or sleeping.
- Avoid leaving books and other possessions unattended elsewhere on campus. Secure money, check books, ATM cards and credit cards at all times. Keep your PIN secret and don’t write it on your cards.
- Do not put your address on your key ring.
- Do not leave keys in hiding places and don’t lend your keys to anyone.
- Do not prop open doors in the residence halls or other campus buildings at any time.
- Call 911 (8-911 from a campus phone) if you suspect that you are in immediate danger and tell them your exact location and situation. Do not hang up unless you are forced to leave the area for a safer place.
- Report any suspicious individuals to an RD, to campus security, or to Sterling Police.
- Keep a list of emergency numbers by your phone.
- Avoid walking alone at night unless absolutely necessary.
- Walk only in well-lit, commonly traveled routes.
- Avoid shortcuts and dark isolated areas.
- Walk confidently and be alert, not with your head down.
- Carry a whistle to use if threatened.
- Have your door or car keys ready. Carry them in your hand, not buried in your pocket or purse. Keys can be used as a weapon against an attacker by striking the assailant in the eyes and face.
In Parking Lots
- Always remove your keys and lock your car.
- Check the area before leaving your car at night.
- Look around and under your car when approaching.
- Check the back seat of your vehicle before entering.
- Remove all valuables from car. Either take them with you or lock them out of sight in the trunk of the vehicle. Keep in mind that while absolute safety cannot be guaranteed, there are many steps that we can take as individuals to increase the safety of the college campus for everyone.
Sterling College employs on-campus security personnel who patrol grounds and buildings every evening and throughout the night. The Student Life Office oversees campus security. Campus Security assures proper lock-up of campus buildings and general well being of students during the night. Should one need a security officer, they can be contacted by calling the Resident Director on call (278-6218).
A Daily Crime Log is maintained in the Student Life Office. The crime log has criminal incidents and alleged criminal incidents that are reported to the Student Life Office. Students and employees are encouraged to report incidents/crimes to the Student Life Office. Any individual may obtain a copy by coming to the Student Life Office or calling at 620-278-4218.
- Fire, Police, Ambulance: 911 (dial 8-911 from campus phones)
- Sterling Medical Center: (620) 278-2123
- Rice County Hospital: 619 S. Clark, Lyons KS; (620) 257-5173
- Poison Control Center: 1-800-332-6633
- Sexual Assault Center: 400 W. 2nd, Suite B, Hutchinson KS; 24 Hour Crisis: (620) 663-2522 or 1-800-701-3630
- Resident Director Cell Phone: (620) 278-6218
Report criminal activities…
In residence halls and Student Union to: Tina Wohler, VP of Student Life (x236) In other campus buildings and offices to: Scott Rich, Chief Financial Officer and VP (x294)
- Student Life
- Residence Life
- Clubs and Organizations
- Campus Ministries
- Career Services
- Health and Counseling
- Safety and Security
- Business Office
- Student Handbook
- Student Life Staff
- Love Sterling