- Student Life
- Support SC
Obtaining a community borrower card
- Persons age 15 or older may apply for a community borrower card at the Mabee Library Circulation Desk.
- Persons ages 15-18 must have a parent or guardian sign the application form. Bring a driver’s license.
- Card holders agree to the following terms, noted on the application form:
I hereby apply for the privilege of borrowing materials from the library, and using print and electronic resources within the library. I will not permit others to use my card. If my card is lost or destroyed, I will pay the current fee for a replacement. I agree to return borrowed materials on time and to observe the Sterling College Responsible Use of Computer Resources Policy. It is understood that Mabee Library’s internet is NOT filtered for children. If I am 15 or older but younger than 19, my parent or guardian agrees to accept responsibility for my use of the library, as indicated by his or her signature.
- The charge to replace a lost or damaged card is currently $3.00 per card. The fee is subject to change at the discretion of the library director.
- Materials, which are lost or damaged beyond repair, will be billed at their current price plus accumulated overdue fines.
A community borrower card provides access to these services:
- Borrowing privileges for all books, periodicals, and audio-visual materials in the circulating collections. (See the chart of current loan periods and overdue fines.)
- Access to Interlibrary Loan services.
- Assistance in identifying and retrieving appropriate materials.
- Access to reference books.
- Access to the Internet in the designated area.
Computers and Internet Access
- Mabee Library will provide computer access for community users with a current library card.
- Each person should go to the circulation desk and request to be logged on.
- There will be a sign-in sheet at the desk to register your name and arrival time.
- Computer access will be available for one hour per visit.
- Library staff time constraints preclude extensive personal instruction in the use of the Internet.
Some brief words on expectations
- Food is not permitted in the library. Drink containers must have lids.
- Individuals under age 15 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian while visiting Mabee Library.
- Children must not be allowed to run free or make undue noise.
- The library staff reserves the right to request that unruly users of any age (whether campus or community) leave the building.
- Cell phones should be set to vibrate and be used in the lobby only.
- Computers may not be used to download music, play games, or visit pornographic sites.
Loans and renewals at a glance
|Books, CDs, DVDs, VCR tapes||3 weeks||2||.25|
|InterLibrary Loan Items||varies||1.00|
|Current Periodicals||3 days||1||1.00|
5 day fine-free grace period on 3 week loans
1 day fine-free grace period on 3 day loans
(Fines begin with the first day following the due date.)
- No grace period for Interlibrary Loan items.
- Lost or damaged items will be charged at the current replacement cost + $20.00 processing fee + any overdue fine. Renewals may be requested by telephone.
- No renewal can be approved if someone has placed a “hold” on the material.
- Users with overdue, lost or damaged library materials will be declined further loan privileges until the items are returned and fines or replacement costs are paid.
- Circulation periods and fine schedules are subject to change at the discretion of the library director.
- Library telephones are only for staff use. Rare exceptions may be made for public use of the circulation desk phone at staff discretion.
- Except in emergency situations, library staff will not take messages for library users, or call them to the telephone.
- Community Borrower Info Pamphlet
Last revision January 2008
Mabee Library Sterling College
125 W. Cooper Sterling, KS 67579
- Online Learning
- Academic Catalog
- Academic Resources
- Course/Finals Schedule
- Mabee Library