The Veterans School Certifying Official, Anahi Minson, will assist you with the following:
- Advising regarding application for educational benefits and change of training or location.
- Enrollment certifications
- Evaluation of prior training
Anahi Minson: firstname.lastname@example.org
Location: Kelsey, Registrar’s Office
Veterans Educational Benefits Checklist
Sterling College does participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program. Students with 100% eligibility under Chapter 33 are eligible to apply for this benefit.
- Apply for Admission
- Visit Campus
- Contact our School Certifying Official (SCO) and fill out appropriate paperwork (email@example.com)
- Complete the FAFSA for Federal Financial Aid
- Estimate how much you will owe
- Create an Login.gov or ID.me account
- Apply to use Educational Benefits
- If you are a dependent and a transfer, request a change of Program or place
- If you are a veteran and a transfer, request a change of Program or place
- Compile all transcripts from previous colleges and any military training so that they may be evaluated for transfer credit
- Deposit and Register for classes
- Submit Copy of COE (Certificate of Eligibility) received from the VA. This must go to the SCO. This will come hard copy to your home, or you may download it.
- Contact Academic Support about any support services or disability accommodations needed. (620-278-4463 or firstname.lastname@example.org)
- If you’re receiving the Montgomery GI Bill Active Duty, MGIB—Selected Reserve GI Bill, or REAP, verify your enrollment
- You must notify the Certifying Official of any changes to schedule as this will affect certification.
- For more information about the GI Bill® go to the official GI Bill website. .To contact the VA, please use the “Ask a Question” webpage. The VA will respond in writing, within a reasonably short amount of time. You may also call 1-888-442-4551 (1 888 GI BILL 1) from 7:00 a.m.–7:00 p.m. Central Time.
- Veterans and others eligible for educational benefits from the DVA are subject to the standard of satisfactory progress as required by DVA rules and regulations. This policy is outlined in our college catalog for both undergraduate and graduate students.
Learn more about which benefits apply to you, and what these benefits include. Specific questions regarding your eligibility should be referred to the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs at1-888-442-4551.
Chapter 30 - Montgomery GI Bill® Active Duty
This program provides veterans educational benefits for individuals entering the military service after June 30, 1985. (Reservists and National Guard members should refer to Chapter 1606 below.)
Chapter 31 - Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Program
This program is for veterans whose VA-established, service-connected disabilities entitle them to training and rehabilitation to increase the odds for employment. Veterans must provide a current 28-1905 approval form from their case worker in order to certify their enrollment.
Chapter 33 - Post 9/11 GI Bill®
You may be eligible if you served at least 90 days on active duty after September 10, 2001, and you are either still on active duty or were honorably discharged from active duty. Individuals eligible for the GI Bill-Selected Reserve (Chapter 1606) and who qualify for Chapter 33 may make an irrevocable election to receive Post-9/11 benefits.
Chapter 35 - Survivors and Dependents Education Assistance Program
This program is for dependents (spouses and children) of individuals who died, or are permanently and totally disabled from service-connected causes.
Chapter 1606 - Montgomery GI Bill® Selected Reserves
This program is available to members of the Selected Reserves, including the National Guard.
Yellow Ribbon Program
Schools participating in the Post-9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33) Yellow Ribbon Program agree to make additional funds available without an additional charge to your GI Bill entitlement. Sterling College has chosen to waive 50% of eligible expenses in excess of Chapter 33 tuition and fees caps. The VA will match the same amount.
‘‘GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs