Farmer Saves Warriors

Friday, November 5, 2010


Sterling, Kan. - In dramatic fashion, the Sterling College Lady Warriors Women's Soccer Team advanced to the Semi-Final Round of the 2010 KCAC Tournament with a shoot-out victory over McPherson. Sterling goalkeeper Paige Farmer came up with four, in lack of a better adjective, ginormous (giant mixed with enormous) saves in the shoot-out to propel the Lady Warriors into the semi-fin


In the first half of the match, Sterling's Anely Laguna gave the Lady Warriors a 1-0 lead when she put the ball into the back of the net past McPherson keeper Molly Whitwell. The lead did not last long. Soon after the Sterling goal, McPherson's Haley Cook put a shot into the side net from 30 yards out. With the goal, the Bulldogs tied the match at 1-1 and the half finished at 1-1.

Play flowed back and forth between the two teams in the second half with both teams controlling the game in about seven minute intervals. Both teams would have chances to score in the second half, but neither team would be able to capitalize. At the end of regulation, the score was still 1-1.

The first overtime period was controlled by Sterling, but the Lady Warriors were unable to put a ball in the back of the net. Neither team controlled the second overtime period nor was there ever a true threat on goal by either team. After both overtime periods, the score was still 1-1, necessitating a shoot-out.

In a soccer shoot-out, each team gets five shooters. If the game is still tied after five shooters, each team gets one additional shooter until the tie is broken. Shots are taken in alternating order.

McPherson‘s Cook was the first shooter in the shoot-out. Her shot would be stopped by Farmer who would make a kick safe after initially moving away from the shot. The save would give Sterling a chance to take a 1-0 lead in the shoot-out after the first round of shots.

KCAC Offensive Player of the Year Kylie Yates would take the first shot for Sterling. Her shot attempt would go wide left, and the shoot-out would be tied at 0-0 after the first round of shots.

Amanda Aragon was the second McPherson shooter and would also be thwarted by Farmer. The save would be Farmer's second in the shoo-out, giving the Lady Warriors another chance to take a lead.

Morgan Martin was the second Sterling shooter and her shot would go over the frame. Sterling would be unable to capitalize on Farmer's two early saves because the SC shooters failed to even find the target.

Richelle Mascaro would be the third shooter for McPherson. Farmer would come up big again for SC, saving her third penalty kick in a row. Sterling would have another chance to take the lead in the shoot-out.

Sterling would finally capitalize as Yesenia Garcia would put the ball past Whitwell, giving the Lady Warriors a 1-0 lead in the shoot-out after three shots.

Cheyna Buchman would tie it up for McPherson, putting a ball into the upper corner of the goal where Farmer would have no chance at saving it.

Farmer would get the chance to help out her own cause as the fourth shooter for SC. With all the confidence in the world, Farmer put the ball into the back of the net to give Sterling the lead back 2-1.

Rachel Cornell would be the fifth shooter for McPherson. Her shot would go into the upper corner of the goal and was another unreachable ball for Farmer.

Joanne Williams would have a chance to win the game for Sterling, but her shot would go wide left. Being tied after five shooters meant that the two teams would now alternate one shooter at a time. The first team to score without an opposing team answer would win the match.

Stachea Perea would force Sterling's back against the wall early, slipping a shot by Farmer. Farmer would get a hand on the ball, but was unable to push it wide.

With the season riding on her shot, Sterling's Lacey Rhodes would keep the Warriors alive. Rhodes's shot would coolly, calmly, and confidently put the ball in the back of the net, forcing another round of shots.

Whitney Smith would get the next chance for McPherson. Smith's shot would force SC into another must score situation, as her shot would go past Farmer and into the back of the net.

Karina Noah would force another round of shots, blasting a strike just under the crossbar and out of Whitwell's reach.

The eighth shooter for McPherson would be Amber McKinnon. Farmer would come up huge for the Warriors again, making her fourth save of the shoot-out. Sterling would have a chance to end the match.

Pricilla Coronado would have the first chance to clinch victory for Sterling since Williams in the last of the fifth round of shots. Coronado's shot would find the back of the net, sealing a Sterling College victory and propelling the Warriors into the Semi-Finals.

Sterling will face Ottawa University in the Semi-Final Round of the KCAC Women's Soccer Tournament on Tuesday night at 7:00 pm. The game will be on The Sterling College Sports Network with the broadcast beginning about twenty minutes before kick-off.