1886 The Synod of Kansas accepts Sterling's proposal to locate a synodical college in the town on the condition that the first building, Cooper Hall, be completed in time for classes to start November 1, 1887.
1887 Cooper Memorial College opens and Mr. Albert N. Porter becomes the acting president of Sterling College. The departments are Classical, Normal (teaching), English, and Business. During this time there is a Board of Trustees and Board of Directors.
1889 Dr. Francis Marion Spencer becomes SC’s first president.The first library opens on campus.
1892 The first issue of the Cooper Courier, the campus newspaper, is published. Essington H. Lees becomes the first graduate. First football team is formed.
1893 The campus receives running water for the first time.The Alumni Association is founded.First baseball team is formed.
1895 The Men’s Quartette goes on the road for the first time to advertise for the college.
1903 First basketball game is played against Nickerson Normal.
1905 Cooper Memorial plays Fairmount College (Wichita State University) in the first night football game. Final score was 24-0, Fairmount.
1907 Electricity came to the College.
1908 The Women’s Quartette is formed to help the men advertise for the college.
1909 Mr. Talmon Bell becomes the interim president.
1910 Dr. Ross Turner Campbell becomes SC’s second president.
1911 The College purchased 20 acres of land for new buildings.The Board of Trustees and the Board of Directors combines into one entity.
1914 Dr. Turner drops the “Memorial” out of the College name.
1918 The federal government establishes a Students’ Army Training Camp at the school.
1919 The school is renamed Sterling College because Dr. Turner had grown tired of explaining where Cooper College was located.Spencer Hall is completed.
1920 The Cooper Courier becomes Ye Sterling Stir.
1922 Wilson Gymnasium is constructed.
1933 Dr. Hugh Alexander Kelsey becomes SC’s third president.
1938 The seniors purchased a brass bell that they placed on top of Spencer Hall. The class had 3 guidelines of when it should be rung: when members of the class were married, at the beginning and end of vacations, and after all college victories.
1946 Dr. William M. McCreery becomes SC’s fourth president.
1948 A strong storm blew out the east wall on the third floor of Cooper Hall and the library had to be moved to Wilson Hall.
1954 Kelsey Hall library and administration building is completed.
1957 McCreery Hall is built.
1961 The Student Union is completed.
1962 Kilbourn Hall is built.
1963 Evans Hall is built.
1964 Crebbs Museum is added to the union, Thompson Hall is built, and the J.W. Fields tennis courts are completed.
1965 Kilbourn addition is built, doubling the size of the dormitory and Smisor stadium is built.
1966 Cooper Hall is remodeled largely by alumni funding.
1971 Gleason Physical Education center is built. This building included a swimming pool, gym, classrooms, and offices.
1972 Wilson Hall is remodeled as a band facility.
1973 Dr. Robert C. Baptista becomes SC’s fifth president.
1975 Dr. Charles William Schoenherr becomes SC’s sixth president.
1978 The old hospital is purchased from the city for the new Art Center.
1983 Dr. Robert A. Vietch becomes SC’s seventh president.
1988 Cooper Hall is condemned and closed for the next 14 years.
1989 Dr. Roger Parrot becomes SC’s eighth president.
1995 Dr. J. Robert Campbell becomes the interim president.
1996 Mabee Library is completed.
1997 Dr. Ed Johnson becomes SC’s ninth president.
2002 After extensive renovations, Cooper Hall is reopened.
2003 Dr. Albert Anderson becomes the interim president.
2004 College purchases 31 acres west of campus for future expansion.
2005 Dr. Bruce Douglas becomes SC’s tenth president.
2006 Douglas Residence Halls for men and women open.
2008 Smisor Stadium and the track and field are renovated.
2009 Dr. Paul J. Maurer becomes SC’s eleventh president.
2012 Heather McCreery, granddaughter of former President William McCreery, becomes Board Chair.