Extension and Non-Tax Filers

Documentation for Tax Extensions

For students and/or parents who have been granted a tax filing extension, Sterling College will require a copy of IRS Form 4868, Application for Automatic Extension of Time to File U.S. Individual Income Tax Return. Student and Parents must also provide a copy of all their W-2 forms or, if they are self-employed, a signed statement with amount of their AGI and their U.S. income taxes paid.

In instances where a student or parent is required to provide copies of W-2 and they did not save their copy, they should request a replacement copy from the employer who issued the original W-2.


Documentation for Non-Tax Filers

For all non-tax filers (whether chosen for verification or not), Sterling College will require a W-2 form for each source of employment income. Sterling College will also need a signed statement giving the sources and amounts of the person’s income earned from work not on W-2s and certifying that the person has not filed and is not required to file a tax return. For residents of the Freely Associated States (the Republic of the Marshall Islands, the Republic of Palau, or the Federated States of Micronesia), a copy of the wage and tax statement from each employer and a signed statement identifying all of the person’s income and taxes for the year is acceptable. Persons from a foreign country who are not required to file a tax return can provide the signed statement certifying their income and taxes paid.

Sterling College will require the student/parent to submit a “Verification of Non-filing Letter” from the IRS indicating that the tax filer did not file a 2014 IRS income tax return if the institution questions the non-filing status. (Generally not available until after 6/15/2015.)

Please contact the Financial Aid Office with questions