About the Program

Education - Sterling College

The education department of Sterling College offers a major in elementary education and a professional studies curriculum for students who are seeking secondary education licensure to teach 6-12 and PreK-12 within major subject areas. The Sterling Teacher Education Program (STEP) is responsible for all education licensure programs offered through Sterling College. Education department faculty work with faculty from other departments to plan licensure programs that meet accreditation guidelines. STEP is currently accredited by:

  • Kansas State Department of Education
    • Elementary and Professional Studies Programs lead to Kansas Licensure

To view KSDE disclosures, click here.

In conjunction with an education endorsement, a student may seek a special education minor by taking coursework offered through the College's educational consortium, the Kansas Independent College Association (KICA).

To view the education department's 2023-2024 STEP handbook, click here.

Licensure Endorsement Programs

What Can I Do With This Degree?

  • Teach elementary, secondary or
    PreK-12 with a content area major

Additional Information

Acceptance to STEP Requirements

  • Option 1: ACT, Reading (22) and Math (22)
  • Option 2: SAT, Reading (544) and Math (533)
  • Option 3: Praxis CORE Test: Math (163), Reading (169) and Writing (165)
  • Option 4: Core Competency Based Grades C or Higher In College Comp., Lit., and Math
  • Option 5: Post Baccalaureate GPA of 3.00 and passing Praxis II Content Test

Students will have until the end of the first year to meet one of the above options.
For more details click here.

34 CFR 668.43(a)(5)(v). Sterling College’s teacher education programs are accredited at the state level. Upon completion of all courses and program assessments, graduates of these programs will be eligible to apply for the Kansas initial teaching license for their program of study after they successfully complete the Kansas teacher licensure exams required by the State of Kansas for application for a teacher license or endorsement.  Sterling College has made no determination if this program will lead to licensure in any state other than Kansas in which a graduate may seek licensure. Because every state has different requirements that may change frequently, we recommend checking with the state education department for the state in question to determine current requirements. The nonprofit organization Education Commission of the States has compiled Teacher License Reciprocity State Profiles that provide additional information about the teacher license reciprocity agreements for each state in a searchable format. Kansas Teacher Reciprocity Agreements provides a list of member states of the NASDTEC Interstate Agreement who have signed reciprocity agreements with Kansas.

Additional resources can also be found at:

Professional Licensure Directory | NC-SARA

Midwestern-State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement | Midwestern Higher Education Compact (mhec.org) Scroll down the page to “Licensure Board/Agency Directory”

Request Information


Rachel Wannamaker
Assistant Professor of Education,
Chair of the Education Department


Dawn Eliserio
Assistant Professor of Education
Gidget Dinkel
Assistant Professor of Education
Dr. Bill Anderson - Sterling College
Dr. Bill Anderson
Assistant Professor of Education