As a Christian college we value international students here at Sterling. We take our commitment to our faith and our academics very seriously. Along with that Christian environment comes a wonderfully warm sense of community. Sterling is small and we (all the professors, the students, and the staff) live our lives side by side, supporting each other in our daily experiences.

Application Deadlines:
Fall Semester - July 15
Spring Semester - December 15

In order to be accepted for admission to Sterling an international student must:

  1. Submit an application for admission either through the mail or online. (The $25.00 application fee is waived for international students.)
  2. Submit official transcripts from schools (secondary and college) the student has attended. If transcript is written in another language a certified English translation is required. (An additional fee may be required if transcripts need to be translated.)
  3. Submit all standardized test scores, such as school-leaving exams or country-wide tests.
  4. Provide proof of English proficiency by completing the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). The required score is 525 (paper) or 195 (computer based) or 70 internet based, if student's primary language is not English. Sterling College does not have an intensive English language program.
  5. Pay for one year (tuition, room and board) less any scholarships or outside aid.
  6. Provide documentation of sufficient financial resources for the full year.
  7. Provide proof of health insurance before the first day of classes. International students wishing to purchase health insurance may do so through Sterling College Financial Services Office.

Sterling College policy requires all international students to have full payment of one year's tuition, room and board paid prior to issuing the I-20.

To insure having the sufficient monies for this approaching year, Sterling College cannot release the I-20 Form or submit student information to SEVIS until the international student has deposited the funds to cover expenses for student’s first year.

Passports and Visa

In order to come to the United States for study, international students must obtain a passport from their government and a visa from the U. S. Embassy. Students coming to the U.S. should apply for the F-1 Visa (an academic visa granted only upon presentation of a completed I-20 form). Care must be taken to observe all regulations of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.

Documents required for visa interview include:

  1. Valid passport
  2. I-20
  3. Evidence of acceptance to Sterling College (acceptance letter)
  4. Evidence of your finances (bank statement)
  5. Other documentation required by embassy/consulate (check their website)

Documents required for entry to the U.S.:

  1. Valid passport
  2. I-20
  3. F-1 Visa

Travel to Sterling

Sterling College is located in Sterling, KS, which is in the center of the state. Sterling is approximately one hour (60 miles) from Wichita, KS and four hours (220 miles) from Kansas City. Hutchinson, KS, a city of 40,000 is 25 miles away. To get to Sterling students should fly into Mid-Continent Airport in Wichita, KS. Arrangements can be made to be picked up at the Wichita airport, the bus terminal in Wichita or the train station in Hutchinson.

Financial Aid

Admissions Requirements