Sterling college offers short-term counseling services free to any of our students. The purpose of providing these services is to improve their academic performance and  their emotional, social, and spiritual well-being. Research indicates that students who struggle socially or emotionally are more likely to either drop out of school or transfer. We aim to reach out to those students, so that their college experience can be more enjoyable and successful.

Services are provided by Loida Leone and Lydia Butner. Loida is fully licensed by the state of Kansas at the independent level of practice and is skilled in Christian and psychological approaches to counseling. Lydia holds an MA in Mental Health Counseling from Trinity International University, and is a Licensed Professional Counselor.

Services include:

  • Mental Health Assessment
  • Crisis Evaluation and Intervention
  • Individual Counseling
  • Psycho-educational Groups
  • Referral Services

These services are confidential in nature. All records are confidential and separate from any other record on campus. The content of all sessions is confidential with these limitations: if  there is an immediate or imminent threat of personal harm to self or another person, if there is a report of ongoing abuse to a minor, or if the student is under 18.

Issues that can be addressed may include but are not limited to...

  • Anxiety
  • Depression/ Suicide
  • Alcohol/Drug Issues
  • Stress
  • Trauma
  • Anger Management
  • Eating Disorders
  • Relational Issues
  • Family Problems
  • Grief
  • Identity issues
  • School Problems
  • Sexual Abuse or Domestic Violence

Sterling College is affiliated with Ulifeline, an online resource for students and faculty that provides information and screenings to promote student mental health and emotional well-being. If you need immediate help after office hours and cannot reach the RD or RD on call at 620-278-6218, please call 1-800-875-2544, the Crisis Intervention Hotline for Rice County, KS. 

Office Hours

Monday, Thursday and Friday from 8:30 am – 5 pm.  Walk-ins are welcome, appointments are preferred. 

To make an appointment:

Contact Loida at 620-278-4202 or the Student Life Office at 620-278-4232 or email Loida at

Contact Lydia at 620-278-4297 or the Student Life Office at 620-278-4232 or email Lydia at